Contact us today
(805) 214-8888
(661) 214-8888

Injured on a farm? Here are 3 things you need to do

Agricultural work is one of the most important jobs in America. Without farm workers, none of us would be able to get the food we need to survive.

Sadly though, farm workers aren't always treated with the respect they deserve. Agriculture work remains one of the most dangerous jobs in the country. People who work on farms are more likely than average to get killed or injured on the job.

What should you do if this happens to you or someone you love?

Say something. Workers' compensation is your right.

California law requires employers to provide workers' compensation insurance for their employees. This will provide coverage for things like medical bills, lost wages and other expenses.

In order to get workers' comp, you have to report the injury to your employer. Do not be afraid. Your employer is not allowed to punish you or fire you for getting hurt, and you can get benefits even if the accident was your fault.

You can get workers' compensation even if you are undocumented. Workers' comp and immigration are separate systems.

Go to the doctor. You need treatment to get better.

Workers' comp will pay your medical bills. In an emergency, call 911 and go to the doctor as soon as possible. Tell them the injury happened at work.

For non-emergencies, report the injury to your employer first. The insurance company will then authorize medical treatment within 24 hours.

Follow through with your treatment plan, and keep getting care until your doctor tells you that you can stop.

Call a lawyer. You don't need to do this alone.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking they don't need a lawyer, because the insurance company will be on their side. This isn't true. The insurance company will have lawyers working to make sure they pay you as little as possible. That's how they make money.

It is common for injured workers to find that their benefits get cut off before they have recovered, or that they are being pressured to accept less than they deserve. If this is happening to you, call a lawyer to get help.

Don't worry about whether you can afford to pay an attorney. In workers' comp cases, most lawyers work on something called a "contingency fee." This means that you don't have to pay them unless they recover money for you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Schedule a Free Consultation

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact us today
(805) 214-8888
(661) 214-8888

Santa Barbara
418 E. Canon Perdido Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Phone: 805-699-5976
Fax: 805-965-5009
Map & Directions

Santa Maria/SLO
411 E. Betteravia, Suite 204
Santa Maria, CA 93454

Phone: 805-699-5976
Fax: 805-965-5009
Map & Directions

405 South B Street
Suite 4
Oxnard, CA 93030

Phone: 805-699-5976
Fax: 805-965-5009
Map & Directions

Bakersfield/Kern County
1800 Westwind Drive
Suite 103
Bakersfield, CA 93301

Phone: 661-846-2270
Fax: 805-965-5009
Map & Directions