Questions And Answers About Workers’ Comp

At Ghitterman, Ghitterman & Feld, we have more than six decades of experience serving injured employees and their families in Santa Barbara County, Kern County, Ventura County and beyond. Our workers' compensation attorneys are board-certified specialists who have represented thousands of people like you over the years. Our goal is to help you obtain the money and medical care you need to move forward.

Following are a few frequently asked questions and answers about workers' compensation in California:

What kinds of benefits does workers' compensation provide?

Workers' compensation can provide many types of benefits if you suffered a work-related injury or illness. You may be entitled to:

  • Medical care, completely paid for by the insurance company
  • Regular payments to help cover your lost wages if you have a temporary or permanent disability
  • Vouchers to pay for job retraining or education that will allow you to change careers if you can't go back to what you did before
  • Death benefits for the loss of a loved one, including burial expenses and compensation for the wages that your family member would have earned

Can I get benefits if my condition developed slowly, not in an abrupt accident?

Yes, workers' compensation covers health conditions that develop over time, in addition to those that occur in catastrophic accidents. For instance, farm workers often suffer back injuries caused by bending and lifting over and over for years on end. Some office workers also suffer carpal tunnel syndrome from years of typing. No matter what industry you work in, you can seek benefits for such repetitive stress injuries.

Can I file a claim if I'm not a legal resident of the U.S.?

Yes, you can still seek workers' compensation benefits even if you are not a permanent resident or U.S. citizen. Your immigration status does not matter when it comes to obtaining benefits for work-related injuries.

What happens if my doctor says I can return to work, but I don't think I can?

You have the right to disagree with your doctor's evaluation. If you dispute the medical report stating that you can safely return to work, don't hesitate to contact an attorney and get a second medical opinion. You have a strict time limit, however, so it's important to act promptly.

What does it cost to hire a lawyer to help me?

We accept all workers' compensation cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that we get paid only after we recover benefits for you. If we aren't successful, we don't collect attorney fees. It's as simple as that. You pay nothing upfront and have nothing to lose.

Call Ghitterman, Ghitterman & Feld at 805-214-8888 or contact us online to set up a free consultation about your case. We look forward to talking with you today.